Table of Contents
- What is Telehealth Physiotherapy?
- What are some of the benefits of Telehealth Physiotherapy?
- What will happen in during my session?
- What if I need hands-on or in-person care?
- How long is my session?
- Is the fee covered by my insurance?
- Do I need a Doctor’s referral for the Telehealth Physiotherapy service?
- What can be done in a typical Telehealth Physiotherapy visit?
- What do I need for my Telehealth Physiotherapy Session?
- How do I prepare for my Telehealth Physiotherapy Session?
What is Telehealth Physiotherapy?
Telehealth physiotherapy uses electronic communication via telephone or video conferencing to remotely provide information and physiotherapy service to relieve your aches and pains while you are at home.
What are some of the benefits of Telehealth Physiotherapy?
- Convenient physiotherapy care from the comfort of your home
- Convenient physiotherapy care if you are unable to drive or get a ride
- Safe physiotherapy care while maintaining social distancing due to COVID-19
- Flexible physiotherapy care to match your work/life schedule
- Timely physiotherapy service to prevent your condition from worsening
- Saves time and cost (no travel time and travel cost required)
- Increased access to health care
What will happen in during my session?
Our Telehealth Physiotherapy Service will include a one-on-one consultation with our Registered Physiotherapist who will assess your condition and provide a customized treatment plan. Your Physiotherapist will meet with you virtually via the video conferencing to discuss your condition and your symptoms and may ask you to perform certain movements or virtual tests to determine the problem, and help you develop a plan of care to treat your condition.
What if I need hands-on or in-person care?
There are many innovative strategies using simple things in your home that can be incorporated to help you. Simple objects like a tennis ball or massage ball/stick can become useful to show you how to perform certain mobilizations or hands-on techniques to effectively manage your pain or condition. Specific therapeutic exercises can also be utilized. If you have a family member who can help, then we can often teach them a few techniques to perform on you to further help you. The goal of Physiotherapy is always to teach you effective strategies to regain your independence and this can also be provided virtually.
How long is my session?
- Initial evaluation consults will be 60 minutes
- Subsequent follow-up treatment sessions will be 30 minutes
It is recommended that you log in 5-minutes prior to your appointment time and submit your required paperwork ahead of time.
Is the fee covered by my insurance?
Telehealth Physiotherapy is covered by most health care plans. Often health plans will cover all or a portion of the cost for such service. Please check with your insurance company.
The following is a short list of some insurance companies that have agreed to cover the cost of Telehealth Physiotherapy service:
- Canada Life
- Manulife (Depends on individual plan)
- Blue Cross (Currently contemplating each case as per COVID 19 situation)
Do I need a Doctor’s referral for the Telehealth Physiotherapy service?
No, a doctor’s referral is not necessary to see a Physiotherapist in Ontario. However, a small number of health insurance providers may ask you for a doctor’s referral to get reimbursed. Please enquire with your health insurance provider to be sure.
What can be done in a typical Telehealth Physiotherapy visit?
- Take a thorough history to provide an accurate diagnosis
- Examine your movement and functional capacity
- Prescribe therapeutic exercises and stretches
- Correct your exercise form and provide cues to perform them more effectively
- Provide self-directed hands on treatment strategies
- Teach you what to do and more importantly what NOT to do
- Provide a Plan of Care to follow in your own environment
- Help train another person to assist you with exercises or stretches
What do I need for my Telehealth Physiotherapy Session?
You will require an internet connection with a device that has audio and video capabilities (i.e. tablet, smartphone or desktop computer, laptop computer)
How do I prepare for my Telehealth Physiotherapy Session?
Set your device up so that you can perform a face-to-face interview and you can move away to show your full body. Change into loose fitting clothing (like you would wear to a gym) so that you can move freely. It is recommended that you log in 5 minutes prior to your session and submit any required paperwork ahead of time.
If you have any questions prior to your appointment, please call us at (905) 760-7767, as we are more than happy to help.